Friday, April 6, 2012

MG Book Review: The Cay, by Theodore Taylor

General Information
Publisher:  Avon Books
Year of publication:  1969
# of chapters:  19
# of pages:  144
Genre:  Adventure
Website:  www.theodoretaylor.com
Plot summary:  from Wikipedia



Positive Points
This book has an interesting, unique plot.  A boy becomes blind after getting stranded on an island with an old man called Timothy and a cat. Their friendship grows based on their need to survive in the wild.

I really loved the old man's personality.  Instead of pitying the blind boy, he challenged him to overcome his situation and take charge of himself.  Both characters were believable and unique in many ways.

Negative Points
The beginning didn't really hook me. I was about to put the book down and stop reading, but I continued for a few more chapters. I'm glad I did. The rest of the story was a lot more engaging. Maybe I'm too used to reading newer books that are action-packed right from the start.

The man's dialect was a bit hard to understand at first. I don't like to work that hard when I read. It didn't always flow smoothly.

What makes this book unique
The fact that the boy is blind adds an extra challenge to the usual survival story where they face the elements and animals.  I'll probably never be blind nor stranded *knock on wood* so this gave me the experience of both situations combined, from the comfort of my living room.

Overall Impression
This book reminded me of Uncle Tom's Cabin and Huckleberry Finn, mainly because of the preconceived ideas the boy had about this black man that was with him at the beginning of the story, and how his views changed as he got to know him better.

My Rating:


Thinking of purchasing this book? I'll make it easy for you:


No comments:

Post a Comment